Obtaining a Learner's Permit
You must be at least 15 years of age.
If you are under the age of 18, you are required to have a parent/guardian, responsible adult or authorized Driver Training Instructor to sign the application for the driver's license. Responsible adult only applies to emancipated applicants with court ordered documentation. The signer of the application has the authority to request the driver's license be revoked at any time before your 18th birthday.
Any out of state permits, licenses, or ID cards must be surrendered. If the teen held a license or permit in another state and the card has been lost or stolen, a certified copy of the teen’s driving record or motor vehicle report, dated within the last 30 days, from the issuing state is also required.
- You must bring documentation showing your identity, residential address, full social security number, and U.S. citizenship. If you are not a U.S. citizen, then you must bring proof of your lawful status in the United States.
- A Georgia DDS Certificate of School Enrollment (DS-1) must be signed and notarized from your school. This document is only valid for 30 days.
- All applicants under the age of 18 not enrolled in school must provide a high school diploma, GED, special diploma, certification of high school completion, or proof of enrollment in a GED program or a postsecondary school.
- All documents presented must be in English.
For a complete checklist of all accepted document from the Georgia Department of Driver Services: https://online.dds.ga.gov/secureid/accepteddocs.aspx
The applicant must pass a vision exam.
The applicant must pass a two part knowledge exam pertaining to Road Rules and Road Signs. All questions are based on material contained in the Georgia Driver's Manual.
The knowledge exam is conducted on a walk in basis only at all Customer Service Centers. Testing must begin at least 30 minutes before office close time.
The permit fee is $10.00, Effective January 5, 2009, the fee must be paid before the test begins; DDS accepts cash, money order, check, or credit/debit cards. The $10 fee is forfeited if you fail the test. The $10 permit fee would be paid again at the next test attempt.
The permit is valid for 24 months.
The permit holder is allowed to drive a Class C vehicle:
- With a licensed driver at least 21 years old
- The licensed driver must be seated in the front seat of the car at all times.
If you receive a traffic citation after you receive your license, your license may be suspended. Paying the citation fee does not indicate that your license will not be suspended.